Thursday, May 10, 2012

Taco Seasoning

Just last week I was making tacos and pondering a way to make my own. I read the ingredients and figured that it wouldn't be very hard; just some trial and error. If you know me well, then you know that I can sometimes have some wonderful (and creative) ideas...but getting me to do them is like pulling teeth. I can even have all the supplies and means to complete the task at hand and just never do it. This is not because I lack motivation; it's because I am a perfectionist. There I said it - Boy that felt good. Admitting it is the first step after all :). Anywho, before I had the chance to actually try and make my own seasoning I stumbled upon a recipe on...you guessed it...Pinterest. (Homemade Taco Seasoning) I tried it tonight because, as usual, I had everything necessary to make it and just happened to be making tacos with ground chicken. If you haven't tried eating ground chicken rather than beef it takes some getting used to. For me the texture is very different and the flavor is, well, absent. I add a ton of seasoning to overcome this and it is healthier (in theory) so I'll stick with it. But alas I digress...again...

So here's the ratio I found on the above recipe:
1 part chili powder
1 part ground cumin
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 part crushed red pepper

I only used 1T of the first 4 and 1/2 t of the 5th. I will, however, make a much larger batch to stick in the freezer and portion out as needed because it was great! And it doesn't have the extra sodium and other crap that is found in store bought taco seasoning...BONUS! This is definitely a must try if you enjoy tacos or using taco seasoning on any other dishes. My hubs uses it on popcorn sometimes so it'll be interesting to see how he likes it on his next batch. Let me know if you all have any ideas or additions that will enhance or improve the flavor.

No comments: