Wednesday, September 7, 2011

35th Balloon Classic

I am not a morning person. In fact, there are very few things I will get out of my bed for when the sun has not even risen. Apparently one of them is to see hot air balloons. Last year I saw a bunch of balloons in the air as Bucky and I were travelling around town but I had no idea where they came from or what they were doing up there. It peaked my curiosity. Fast forward a year and I heard through the grapevine about the Balloon Classic. To get a good seat you have to be there around 615 AM. Yes, I said AM!! B & I discussed it and decided that this would be a good thing to check out. So at 0515 on Saturday morning, we rolled out of bed, drank some coffee, got the little guy up and dressed, finished getting ready, and headed to Memorial Park. It was chilly but we were determined to see some balloons. So we arrived along with many other people, paid our $5 for parking and got out of the car. Then I overheard someone saying, "sorry." I asked our car neighbors what was going on and they said it had apparently been cancelled because of wind. So here we were at 0630 in the morning...awake. I called our friends who were on their way to the park and we all diverted to IHOP for breakfast instead. That night B & I discussed our plans again. We again decided to get up at the a$$ crack of dawn to see some balloons. So we did. We were more careful about checking the weather before we woke the boy up and it was actually not windy at all. We found free parking when we got there (bonus) and we had our chairs and an extra blanket this time. We walked to the park, set up our chairs and looked around in absolute amazement at what we thought were "just" balloons.

Then we had a truck pull up in front of us and we quickly realized we were going to have a front row seat to the inner workings of a hot air balloon.

It was obvious the excitement the day brought with it when the pathfinder balloon started to rise. There was yelling and cheering and we knew at that point that we were in for quite a show.

I believe there were a total of 64 balloons registered for this year's classic and it was wonderful to watch all of them blow up and take off into the beautiful clear blue sky.

These are pictures of the process of getting a balloon inflated.

And one final picture of the entrance to Memorial Park.

Overall, we were more than pleased after we saw all the beautiful colors and balloons. Even Bucky said "I'm so glad we saw all the balloons."

No comments: